Tuesday 16 July 2013

Book - Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

Author - Rick Riordan
Year - 2005
Genre - Fantasy/Adventure
Pages - 375
Series - Percy Jackson

This book was recommended to me by Samara, and I have to be completely honest and admit that it is actually a book I had read before.  I am a big fan of science fantasy and as a result, this series was something I was already aware of, and had actually read all of them a few years back.  However, having loved it completely, I was keen to give it a reread.

Percy often finds starnge things happening to him, but it isn't until he reaches "Camp Half Blood" that he discovers why.  He is the son of the Greek god Poseidon.  In this world, the gods of the Ancient Greeks are still alive, and have many children on Earth who inherit a small amount of their powers.  Percy is about to find out just how much his life has now changed.

This is a truly brilliant premise, and delivers on every front.  There is just the right mixture of action and development, and adding in the slightly more unusual twist of including many of the myths of Greek mythology makes the whole book even more enjoyable.  Speaking as someone who has read the rest of the series, I can also say that the stories get better and better as the books go on.

If you are a fan of fantasy books - or if you have simply finished Harry Potter and need a new series of young adult fiction with a magical side to it - then I can wholeheartedly recommend this book, and all of those that follow it.  As I understand it, Rick Riordan has recently started to release more books set in this universe, and I think that a reread of the entire series may be in order to set myself up for these new installments.

9/10

Review by Mr Freeman

Mr Freeman - 3
Team 7.1 - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment