Tuesday 9 July 2013

Tiger Wars

Book: Tiger WarsAuthor: Steve Backshall
Year: 2013
Genre: Adventure
Pages: 262
Series: Yes, but the second one isn’t out yet.

I picked this book because I love tigers (and I mean I absolutely love them) and I love adventurous and action books because I love the feeling when you are tense and trying to cling on to your seat. Also it makes me really want to read on. The feeling of that tiger on the front is hard to describe it makes me feel like this book is going to be amazing and make me feel euphoric! I already know that there are tigers in this book on the front; other than that I know nothing! I am expecting an action packed book full of adventures and excitement…

Tiger Wars starts and ends well but gets a bit lost in the middle. To be honest I felt like there was a very interesting non-fiction book in there somewhere trying to get out. The facts about animals, landscape and habitat and even the survival tips were really engaging. Sadly the plot wasn't engaging (even though it had the potential to be), the characters were two dimensional and the whole effect was of a substandard Willard Price adventure with facts shoe-horned in just when the plot looked like it was actually going to get interesting. I think that this book will be popular with children though because of Backshall himself and his huge following. Perhaps they won't find the lumpiness of the style upset them as much as it upsets me - I will be interested to find out! Backshall's non-fiction books (that accompany his Deadly 60 series on CBBC) are much more fun. I feel kind of bad slating this book as I really, genuinely wanted to love it . Writing good fiction is a hard thing to learn however (much like Kung Fu, wilderness survival skills and tracking for example) whereas writing poor fiction is startlingly easy. My fingers are crossed for the next book...

I thought it was average. Not the best book I have ever read. I didn’t like that the middle went all confusing and I didn’t know what was going on but then at the end I caught up, but it took at least 5 chapters from 9 to 14 to catch up with the whole point of the story also there wasn’t many animals in this book (especially tigers)! It used a lot of good words such as “Saker though was far from asleep with thoughts coursing through his consciousness”

I think this book would be aimed for young adults because it has murder and violence In it. I would only recommend it if someone needed to get a book that was about survival tips.

I would give a 7\10!

Review by Olivia, 7.1

Mr Freeman - 1
Team 7.1 - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment